A unique staff celebration.
Our client, a financial services company wanted to throw a staff party to launch their new office space and celebrate their 12th anniversary. The theme was The Enchanted Forest – a fabulous opportunity to get creative alongside Carnival Chaos who created an incredible set bursting with greenery.
180 guests enjoyed bowl and finger food bursting with flavour, including:
- Treacle-basted Belhaven hot smoked-salmon with piquant potato salad.
- Couscous bowls with tandoori glazed sweet-potatoes, chickpeas and caramelised red onion and coconut sauce.
- Zingy Korean beef stir fry with lettuce in a sweet soy and sesame dressing.
- Scottish cheeses
- And, a dessert station serving a kaleidoscope of jars containing mini-cheesecakes, tiny apple crumble dishes, silky lemon meringue tarts and our super-indulgent chocolate brownie pots.
Seasonal drinks served in a log cabin style-bar included:
- ‘The Hickory Garden’ – cranberry and elderflower syrup, gin, egg white, apple and soda water.
- ‘Strawberry and Basil Daiquiri’ – light rum, lime, strawberry and basil syrup finished with fresh basil.
Last night was a great success and there were lots of great comments about the wonderful food, all the staff were fantastic. Thanks so much for everything. I’m delighted that we eventually managed to throw a party with you!!
Jayne Scott, Head of Events.
Well there have been a fair few sore heads in the office this morning. When I arrived the place was like a ghost town then they all started arriving in dribs and drabs like the walking dead! All the sign of a good party though and that’s a lot down to Hickory. The event was a great success. Huge thanks to you and your team for your hard work beforehand and on the night.
Gayle Bowed, Events Manager
A relaxed and glamorous launch vibe.
An exciting brief involving Richard Branson himself: a press launch and evening cocktail reception to mark the ground-breaking (in construction terms) stage of the first Virgin Hotel Edinburgh.
The historic India Buildings were little more than a building site which gave our Event Planners a challenging but inspirational backdrop. From the outset this project was about using the magnificent period features to create a lavish setting while heeding the practicalities of delivering an event in what was essentially a work in progress.
The day kicked off with a press launch followed by a glamorous evening cocktail reception with Sir Richard himself in attendance.
To set a relaxed but luxurious vibe Scottish singer-songwriter Nina Nesbit gave an acoustic performance while cocktails and canapes were served.
- Cumin and sesame sables with goats cheese parfait, handpicked gorse flowers and honeycomb
- Savoury cones of reamed Shetland smoked salmon and Avruga caviar
- Paremesan and Mull cheddar lollipops with a dusting of black sesame
- Mini crispy tacos with little gems, smoked paprika dusted chicken and yoghurt with lime
- Seared watermelon with east coast crab and cucumber ribbon pickled in North Berwick gin syrup
- Glen Isla Estate carpaccio of venison
- Finally, exquisite honeycomb crunch choc ices with coconut sprinkles.
“Thank you so much, Corinne, and your team for all the help with this event. Everything looked great, we couldn’t have done it without your professionalism and hard work.”
Ana Lanzas, Director of Communication and Social Media , Virgin Hotels
Feasting for the 500
There were 500 delegates to keep happy at the annual Future X/DataFest conference at the Assembly Rooms. Our role was to produce scrumptious conference catering and healthy treats during refreshment breaks ensuring everyone could enjoy a stress-free recess with nutritious food.
“As ever, it was a pleasure working with you guys. A total dream. Over the last few years, Hickory have become by far our favourite caterers for the events that we manage. Whether it’s a high profile event for a client like Datafest or one of our own events (e.g Startup Summit) we wouldn’t want to work with anyone else.
The quality of the food is a cut above any other caterers we have used in the past and also offers great value for money, both of which are hugely important when serving as many as 600 hungry attendees per day at our events. Both in the lead up to the event and on the day itself we have found their level of service, professionalism and attention to detail to be far beyond any caterers we have used in the past. With a million things on your mind on the event day, it’s great not to worry about the catering!
I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Hickory to clients and other event companies. In fact I have! And they’ve never let me down.”
Paul McMillan – Head of Events and Marketing.
Executive Annual Dinner
Our client hosts an annual dinner for senior executives and their partners in Fyvie Castle, one of the venues at which Hickory is an established catering partner. This is one of our favourite events: an extraordinary celebration of outstanding cooking in grand surroundings.
In two exciting collaborations, Hickory worked alongside celebrity chefs Simon Rimmer and Tony Singh who devised superb 7 course menus to be executed with flair and ingenuity by our own Development Chef Robbie Gleave and his team.
Tony Singh’s menu featured Scottish ingredients with an Indian influence including:
- Blood Bay scallops ceviche with tamarind
- East Lothian asparagus with almond, rose petals and cardamom
- Roast Shetland langoustine and a dal broth scented with spices and frankincense
- Fillet of Grampian beef with herbed stovies and picked radishes
- Blacketyside strawberries perfumed with black pepper and cinnamon
- Tain-made Blue Murder cheese with chill-spiced celery chutney
Simon Rimmer’s collaboration with the 5-strong Hickory chef team involved this exquisite menu:
- Japanese-inspired seared soy and ginger yellowfin tuna with wasabi and sesame crust
- Heirloom tomato tartare with minted lime labneh, mozzarella pearls and roasted brioche crumbs
- Orkney scallops with smoked roe butter and seashore leaves
- Scotch lamb two ways featuring oregano and mustard and sprouting young vegetables
- Baked passion fruit cream with mango puree, coconut mojito granita shot,little fruits and foraged gorse flowers